Summer is finally here! I love soaking up as much sun and time outside as possible, which means the occasional outside workout! I created this simple, yet effective workout a few years ago that can be done with just a park bench or step and a timer.
Because I am a big believer in creating workouts for every fitness level, below you’ll find some modifications if you characterize yourself as a beginner or need a regressed version of some of these moves.
This Park Bench Circuit Workout is great to do with a partner. Grab a friend or even one of your kiddos. Take a walk around a park and add in a few rounds of this workout, if you want to break it up a bit!
- Interval Timer (you can use an interval timer app or use the timer on your phone!)
Set your timer for 12 minutes. Aim to get through as many rounds as possible (AMRAP) in the 12 minutes, completing 8 reps of each exercise. The asterisk indicates both sides.
This workout is only 12 minutes long, but you can certainly increase your time if you want a longer workout.
- Skaters: Coming into an athletic stance and jump from right to left, landing softly on the outside foot, letting the inside foot fall behind your outside leg.
- Modification: Instead of jumping side to side, take big steps. Try to balance on the outside foot for an increase in stability.
- Squat Jump Thrusts: Assume low squat position with butt back and glutes engaged, chest lifted. Drive through heels and engage glutes and core, to jump up. As you jump, thrust hips slightly forward. Land softly, driving through the heels and repeat.
- Modification: Take out the jump and perform a regular bodyweight squat. For extra, come up on tip toes at the top of the squat. To modify it down a bit more, sit down on the edge of the bench and stand back up by driving through the heels and squeezing the glutes.
- Power Step Up: Standing upright, with shoulders back and down. Step right foot onto the park bench and drive through heel to power up, adding a slight jump at the top of, driving knee high. Step down and repeat.
- Modification: Take out the power jump by just stepping up on the bench or step.
- Box Jump (Park Bench) Burpee: Standing upright, with shoulders back and down, come into a squat, bringing hands in front of you on the ground. Either step or jump both legs back into a plank position, immediately lowering down, touching chest to the ground. Push back up, keeping core contracted, snap hips and jump or step feet back up towards hands, coming back into a squat position. Drive through heels and jump up onto the bench, landing in a squat position. Hop back down and repeat.
- Modification: Take out the jumps by stepping back and up out of the burpee and stepping up on the bench. Take out the push-up portion of the burpee and step back into plank.