Mindfulness – Being mindful of your eating may help with weight management.
- Observe your body and pay attention to hunger and fullness signals
- Savor your food – notice the colors, smells, flavors and textures of the food (Especially this month’s recipe!)
- Focus on eating and avoid doing other activities while you eat
Slow down – set a timer for 20 minutes and take the whole time to eat the meal
Recipe of the Month
Double Chocolate Breakfast Brownies
1 flax egg (combine 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed with 3 tablespoons water. Let sit until thick, about 5 minutes).
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
½ cup old-fashioned oats
½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
2 teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup melted coconut oil or canola oil + more for oiling muffin tin
1 cup unsweetened applesauce
½ cup dark chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and lightly oil muffin tin (or use muffin cup liners).
- Prepare flax egg.
- Combine flour, oats, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt in a medium bowl.
- Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients and add maple syrup, oil, applesauce, and prepared flax egg.
- Stir until just combined (be careful not to over-stir!).
- Gently fold in chocolate chips.
- Divide batter evenly among muffin cups, filling each about ⅔ full.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Remove muffins from the oven and let cool in muffin tin for about 5 minutes before removing.
- Once completely cool, store in an air-tight container for up to a week.