You can help Hancock Wellness Center pass PHIT and improve the wellness of our entire nation… here’s how!
The PHIT Act is legislation pending in Congress which will allow Americans to use Pre-Tax Medical Accounts to pay for physical activity expenses. The PHIT Act will provide an incentive for adults and their children to get fit which will help prevent healthcare costs related to preventable chronic diseases. After passing in the House of Representatives by a huge margin, PHIT now needs to pass in the Senate – just one step closer to becoming official – and you can help make it happen!
- Call your US Senator by dialing: (202) 224-3121
- E-mail your US Senator by visiting: ihrsa.org/send-a-phit-letter
- Snail mail your US Senator at:
Office of Senator (Name)
Washington, D.C. 20510
What you should say to your senators:
- Sign on as a co-sponsor of the Personal Health Investment Today Act (PHIT) (S. 482)
- Physical inactivity is a major public health problem, and a leading cause of preventable deaths, stress, and exploding health care costs.
- PHIT would allow Americans to pay for health expenditures such as health club memberships and youth sports league fees using pre-tax accounts, such as Health Savings Accounts and Flexible Spending Accounts. Under S.482, individuals would be able to use up to $1,000 per year, and families may use up to $2,000 to pay for physical activity expenses.
- PHIT creates incentives for Americans to become more physically active. This is critical, given that rates of obesity and chronic disease have reached harmful levels.
- The bill will help reduce health care costs, 86% of which go toward diagnosing and treating chronic diseases, many of which are preventable with regular exercise.
For more information, click here.